Tuesday, May 6, 2008

UBD & Me

I learned many crucial aspects of curriculum development. I learned about the idea of developing curriculum, units, and lesson plans using backward design. I recognized the difference between understanding and knowing. I used to think that knowing and understanding were the same. I now know that just because you know something doesn’t mean you really understand the concept. I learned the importance of developing and focusing on the goals and that the goals guide you during the process. The goals must be determined before planning curriculum or lesson plans. I discovered the six facets of understanding and practiced applying those concepts in the curriculum project. They are all important to fully understand the big ideas. I now know what essential questions are, their importance in bridging other disciplines, while focusing on the big ideas, and found that developing these questions are very helpful when teaching. There are many types of questions that can be used for each of the six facets when checking for understanding. There are three assessments and a format (GRASPS) to follow for developing effective assessments. I applied this to assessments that I currently use and found it very helpful. I also used it for my UBD project lesson plan. I learned about planning for learning in stage III by using the WHERETO elements and applied these elements to my UBD lesson plan to guide my instruction and learning activities.

I also gained knowledge in developing mission statements focusing on beliefs and values rather than a description and realized that missions should be specific highlighting the most valued beliefs of a school. The mission statement for the new teacher program was my part of the project. I researched many missions and realized that many schools or institutions have different beliefs or value certain aspects of education more than others due to their specific situation. A mission must be specific you your needs focusing on what is most valued or what needs the most attention for a particular situation or point in time. For instance, since there is a high rate of teacher drop outs, were participated in a highly important project; to develop a curriculum for servicing new teaching to help them through their first year teaching experience. Throughout the years of implementing the program, the program designers will most likely, through reflect on what was most effective about the program and what it was lacking.

I learned the difference between knowledge, skills, and dispositions. I try to focus on this when critiquing my instruction. I am now aware that there is also a difference between intended curriculum and the taught curriculum. This understanding is important when in an administrative position knowing that interpretations can lead teachers away from the true intentions of the resources but can also allow teachers to be creative and adapt to meet their individual needs of students and class. In addition, the difference between rubrics and grading schemes.

I learned that developing curriculum is not an easy process and that it takes much time and cooperation with other colleagues who must come together in sharing their vision to determine the goals that must be met prior to beginning the understanding by design process. I look forward to putting my “understanding” of understanding by design to use when developing curriculum and planning learning experiences.

No comments: