Monday, March 3, 2008

Thinking like an Assessor

The idea of thinking like an assessor influenced me to think about the tasks I give and the questions one must ask to be sure the task is authentic. The first question asks to think of the kinds of evidence needed. The second question asks to think of the characteristics in student responses, or performances that should be examined. The third question asks whether or not the evidence demonstrates a student’s knowledge, skill, or understanding. I also began to think of my previous learning experiences and how it differs from today. I remember teachers expecting us to study information and repeat it. At times I remember studying information that I didn’t even understand but I memorized the words and that was enough to prove that I understood. Thinking like an assessor as in UBD encourages the idea of hands on and minds on tasks that support goals and criteria that are necessary to demonstrate deep understandings. The key is learning for application. If the knowledge given can’t be applied, then what’s the point? There should be a reason beyond grades. Performance tasks present students with a problem to challenge their skill and understanding. The analysis of the understanding of this final product is determined by using appropriate standards and evaluative criteria which should be discussed previously with students. In order to create performance tasks and determine if they are meeting your goals, the GRASPS task design can be helpful. When reading about performance tasks and GRASPS task design, I was tempted to try to incorporate and apply this concept to a core project that I give students in physical education. At the completion of their gymnastics unit, the fourth and fifth grades are asked to design and create a routine including skills previously taught. I immediately thought of this project (probably since we are doing it right now) and decided to use the GRASPS prompts to determine my projects authenticity. I also thought it would be a good idea to use these prompts to further discuss the project at its introduction and use it at the completion of the project to refer to when completing their self evaluation rubric. It was helpful to practice it and to understand it by actually doing it. I just realized that I’m practicing what I am being taught from UBD!

4 comments:

PrincipalStein said...

The application has taken place for you, and it makes more sense, right? The only way I learn is by doing. If someone tells me something, I will listen, but until I have tried to complete the task on my own, I have not learned anything. After reading your blog, I too can recall memorizing things to pass a test. I remember one teacher would write notes on the board, we would copy them down and she would give us word for word the test the day before the test. I would memorize the page (imagining what the page looked like and where the words were located- almost a photographic memory) and then regurgitate it back. I do not remember any information from that class other than this experience. But in the classes where I had to complete a project or when I was actively involved in using the information and applying it to something, I can remember all of the information. In today's schools I agree with you about the importance of engaging students in activities involving application of the knowledge.

The Nature Boy said...

It was interesting to see you reflect back to your own educational experiences as a student. I completely agree with you in that in order for these kids to "understand" things today, we as teachers have to essentially jump through hoops. Ten years ago when I was in high school, I was told what to do and I did it because that is what was expected of me. Now, no matter what we ask these kids to do, there's always someone to give us a hard time or question why we are doing something. Its ridiculous.

MattB said...

I also teach physical education and sometimes find it difficult to teach for understanding in my classes. I believe your idea on having students create plans from what they learned in prior units a good way to see that they're grasping the concept of what is taught to them.

Kate E said...

I think that everything you said here is helpful when trying to assess your students. I think that the thing that I am having a hard time grappling with is whether or not my third graders will be able to grasp "big ideas" and performance assessments. I know from class that assessments like this can be used with even our youngest learners, but I think that it's a really hard transition to make when we are all so bogged down with traitional testing. I need to take that first step!